Interested in Challenge Packs?

Monday, April 24, 2017

Cilantro-Lime Avocado Jicama salad




I'm testing out recipes from the Ultimate Refresh just to make sure I can do it this summer, because I'm such a picky eater. One of the recipes on Pinterest called for Jicama, and the dish looked good so I decided to give it a whirl.

Let me tell you, I had no idea what a jicama looked like and finally found it with the potatoes! You guys know me, I hate potatoes so I was a little hesitant. After googling it, turns out a jicama is a Mexican turnip!

This recipe turned out amazing and it's my new favorite lunch item. I'll be posting it on my blog later today so check back. The jicama turns out to be light, with a tangy taste, and crispy. Love it!  See my version (not the official UR version) of the recipe below.  I tweaked it to include protein since I'm not on the UR yet, and to cut the size.  I also left out the maple syrup in the UR recipe because I really dislike syrup. 
Container Count:
1-green
1-red
1-tsp

Ingredients: (for 4 salads)
- 1 medium sized Jicama
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 1 bundle of cilantro
- 1 lime
- olive oil
- Himalayan sea salt
- Avocado

Directions:
- Pull all the meat off the rotisserie chicken and dice into bite-sized pieces.  Mix up the meat in a large bowl so the light and dark meat is evenly dispersed.  I like to do this while it's still warm so it's easier to pull off.
- Using a sharp knife, cut off the ends of the jicama.  The skin will start peeling off.  Use the knife to cut the skin off.
- Cut thin slices of the jicama, then cut into matchstick size pieces.  I would stack several slices of the jicama into a pile then cut the matchstick pieces.
- Cut your lime into 8 wedges.
- Using mason jars for containers: put 1tsp of olive oil in each mason jar.  Squeeze the juice from 1.5 lime wedges in each jar, and top with some Himalayan sea salt.  Swirl the jars to mix the dressing.
- Measure 1 green container of jicama and add this to each jar. 
- Using either a knife or kitchen shears. chop the cilantro and add some to each jar.  Use the amount that you prefer.
- Put the lids on the jars and shake them well until the items are evenly distributed and coated.
- Open the jars and add 1 red container of chicken to each.  A rotisserie chicken generally has 4 red containers worth. 
- Add the lids back on and refrigerate until you're ready to eat!  It's recommended that the jicama marinades for at least an hour.
- When ready to eat, empty the jar into either a bowl or a plate.  Cut half an avocado into diced size pieces and stir into the salad mixture.





No comments:

Post a Comment