Interested in Challenge Packs?

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Turkey + Spinach Meatballs

Turkey meatballs are Miss T's favorite food.  It's one of my favorites for her as well, because it has a great balance of protein, whole grains, and veggies.  On top of the nutritional benefit, they're pretty simple to make and SUPER easy to pull out of the freezer for a quick dinner or to send to daycare.  I had to make a new batch because the stock was running low, and I decided to see what purees I had leftover that she wouldn't eat anymore.  Right before she decided she didn't want purees, I'd made a big batch of cauliflower and another of spinach.  So to make this quick, I thawed both batches in the microwave, then tossed each one in a separate bowl.  Similar to the last time I made meatballs, I split the pound of ground turkey between the bowls and added a packet of steamed brown rice.  This time I tossed the rice in whole, without creaming it.  It seemed to work well, and I don't think she needed it creamed anyways.  Plus that was one less step (plus one less thing to clean!). 

She really likes the cauliflower + turkey meatballs, but took a little longer to warm up to the spinach ones.  I'm not sure if it was the color or what, because she liked creamed spinach.  But eventually she decided they were fine once I actually got a bite past her compressed lips.  :)

Notes:  This time I baked the batches for about 22 minutes, at 350F.  One thing I'd do differently next time is either using the freezer bag or freezing them flat on a cookie sheet.  Instead I stuck all 60 or so meatballs in a large Ziplock container before putting them in the freezer.  This resulted in one giant mass of frozen meatball.  Each time she wants some, I have to hack them apart.  Not super fun.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment